Monday, June 7, 2010

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

I’m known among my friends for having rather eclectic musical tastes – equally happy with Beethoven or Buffett, Springsteen or Sinatra, Green Day or GaGa – it doesn't really matter. In fact, as I’m writing this post, I’m listening to the classic cowboy stylings of Riders In the Sky, yodeling in my mind, and wishing I were wearing fuzzy chaps and a ten gallon hat. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

Anyway, from an early age I’ve always enjoyed music of all kinds, which has never really posed a problem for me, but has, at times, tended to baffle and confuse my family and friends – not the least of whom was my college roommate on the day I waltzed into our dorm room (figure of speech only) carrying a copy of Freddy Fender’s latest album, Before the Next Teardrop Falls.

“What are you doing with that?” he asked, grabbing his books and hurriedly exiting our room, knowing full well I would have Freddy’s voice crooning from the stereo within seconds. “It’s got a great tune on it,” I replied. “It’s called Wasted Days and Wasted Nights. You’ve got to hear it!” But before the words were fully out of my mouth, he was already far down the hallway, having learned early on in our college career that he and I didn’t always share similar tastes in music. Oh well, his loss!

It’s hard for me now to recall just what it was about that song, Wasted Days and Wasted Nights, I liked so much. It had enjoyed pretty good airplay on top 40 and country stations at the time, getting up as high as #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. But there must have been something that compelled me to go out and buy the album: the twangy guitar, maybe; the lamenting vocal; Freddy’s forlorn look on the album cover – something! I just can’t for the life of me imagine what it was!

I do remember, however, also liking the title track, Before the Next Teardrop Falls. And, in particular, I recall trying my best to sing along in Spanish during the middle verse of the song – the sound of which also sent my roommate running down the hall…

No comments: