Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dentist Office Music

My day started this morning with a trip to the dentist's office. And it’s not that I really enjoy going to the dentist, but I love going to this dentist because he has a state-of-the-art Bose sound system, which pumps into each of the rooms music from Sirius/XM radio – specifically channel 3, which plays “love” songs.

Nothing wrong with that – in fact, I think it’s pretty cool. But what was a little odd this morning was that while the hygienist was cleaning my teeth, on comes Marvin Gaye‘s Sexual Healing. Not a bad song, but it seemed a little weird (out of place, perhaps) to have that tune playing while I’m sitting back in the dentist's chair, wearing a bib, and having a hook shaped device suck spit out of my mouth. Not to mention the fact that there was just something strange about hearing Marvin sing, “Baby I'm hot just like an oven, and I need some lovin',” while the hygienist, adorned in face mask and rubber gloves, scraped six months worth of plaque and tartar from my teeth.
Yuck!

Okay, weird enough. But then the next song comes on and it’s Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers. Of course, my mind goes right to an image of Demi Moore in the movie Ghost. But suffice it to say, the hygienist was not Demi Moore wearing casual jeans and t-shirt, and my teeth were not a mound of clay on a potter’s wheel. Oh, well. Good image while it lasted!

Finally, as if all of this wasn’t troubling enough, these two songs were followed by The Captain and Tennille’s Muskrat Love – without a doubt one of the 10 worst songs ever written. (A co-worker pointed out to me that the song was also recorded by America, which really sort of bums me out, because I like all of America’s other stuff.) But come on! “He's ticklin' her fancy, rubbin' her toes. Muzzle to muzzle, now anything goes.” Oh, please!

Anyway, it was an interesting morning at the dentist's office, and, when all was said and done, I left with clean teeth, no cavities, and a new tooth brush. Not a bad way to start the day.

2 comments:

Randy Deaver said...

Oh, that is cool Bill! Most dental offices these days also have televisions and radios to keep patients entertained while waiting for their turn at the dentist's chair. Although those songs are not usually played at a dentist office, at least they made you smile. =)

Bill said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Randy!